Monday, July 19, 2010

Raymond's Pizza

One of the consequences of business being pushed out of downtown Cincinnati by bad economic policy, is that every once in a while I end up having happy hour with a group of friends who work in West Chester (nice connection to earlier posts, eh?) This happened last week... Fortunately, I've had several people tell me that I had to try Raymond's Pizza in Liberty Township. I don't usually spend much time in that part of the world. So, this was a nice opportunity to have  happy hour pizza with some friends who do not have to pay the Cincinnati Income Tax.

Raymond's is a pretty new restaurant. However, I understand Raymond is the grandson of Chester of Chester's Pizza in Hamilton. I've never been to Chester's but it's been around for 55 years, and has a bit of local fame. I understand Raymond's and Chester's make a very similar pizza. Sometimes the food at old restaurants just seems tired and... well, old. Not the case at Raymond's, which I might more accurately call a classic.

It's an order-at-the-counter pizzeria. Our group of four decided on two large pizzas (Pitchers are also available). Here are the two pies we opted for:

"Hot-n-Spicy" (Pepperoni, Sausage, Onion, Jalapenos, Hot Spices):

"Extreme Meat" (Pepperoni, Sausage, Bacon, Ham, Beef):
Not too much variety, right? ...We ordered two specialty pizzas at $19.99 per large 16" pizza, which is a little more than I'd like to pay. But, the prices for a regular cheese or one-topping are a little more reasonable.

Nonetheless, I'd say it was worth the price. Both specialty pizzas were pretty good. The thick crust was very light and airy, while also being very crisp. A crust of contradictions, right? It was quite good and the best part of the pizzas. Also, while the pizza was cut into squares the slices did stay together, unlike some similarly cut pies. The cheese and the sauce were both pretty good. But, the crust and toppings were definitely the dominant tastes. The toppings, while not exotic, all had a good vibrant taste - no LaRosa's "sausage" (and the Jalapenos were pretty hot). The group, overall, was pleased with the pizza. If you're looking for a good pizza to go with a few drinks, this is a great option.

All in all, it's not Famous Ray's, but it was quite good. We left not slices behind on two 16" pizzas - a fine sign of a good pizzeria. So, I'll be tempted to return the next time I find myself in the area... I can also honestly say it was the best pizza I've had so far in West Chester.

Raymond's Pizza on Urbanspoon

3 comments:

  1. Glad you liked it. my personal favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. have you been to bruno's? it's really good too

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not yet, but Bruno's is on my list of pizzerias I still need to try.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...