Wednesday, October 6, 2010

J & J's Restaurant

J&J's on Glenway is a restaurant that I have been visiting as a far back as I can remember. However, I hadn't been there in several years when I pitched it as an option to friends a few weeks back. The restaurant has moved to a new location (as the old strip-mall from my childhood was demolished), but the interior still looks much like it did when I was five. The most distinguishing feature of the layout may just be that it's quite cramped. I didn't count, but there's  about a dozen booths and a bar. If you go in during peek hours, you usually have to wait around up front for a bit. But, generally a table opens up within ten minutes.
Like Price Hill Chili, this is another West-side place with a huge menu. They have good Mustang (double-decker) sandwiches, chili, and breakfast food. I've had all over the years and have had a good experience with each. However, what particularly stands out for me in the sandwich.

My friend, going with the Greek-ish theme of the place went with some Chili Cheese Fries:
The picture doesn't do justice to the magnitude of this thing. They really pile that cheese on.

I decide on a rather epic ham and Swiss sandwich:
Even though it was just ham and Swiss, this really was a great sandwich. There's a few places on the West-side of Cincinnati that have big sandwiches, but the meat can be dry and not that good (like the Red Squirrel). J&J's has a bigger and better tasting double-decker. Throw in the fact that it comes with Grippos... And well, you've got a meal I like very much.

No-nonsense great food, and at a good price. The 92% it currently gets on Urbanspoon is too low. Highly Recommended ...After leaving, we drove back down Queen City towards downtown - through South Fairmont, past what used to be the remnants of Cincinnati's Little Italy, and past a group of kids playing corn-hole on the sidewalk. As luck would have it, I was listening to the National, since I've been on a bit of a kick lately. After a great meal at a restaurant from my childhood, I thought at the time - This is a great very-Cincinnati moment to go out on.

J & J Restaurant on Urbanspoon

Perhaps I've come to the end of me

Astute readers of this blog may have noticed I have mentioned graduate school a couple times. As of last week, I started a graduate degree and will be spending a great deal of time outside of Cincinnati. With this cramp on my free time, I doubt will have the time to keep up the reviews and occasional rants at this blog. It's possible I will find time to post again at some point (it was after all almost a year between my 1st and 2nd posts). However, this may very well be my last post.

Thanks for reading.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...